Pop Culture and Magick

Discussion in 'Magick' started by Ashy, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Ashy

Ashy Gatecrasher

Thought this an interesting piece on the use of pop culture as magick and in magick...

http://wildhunt.org/2015/07/a-look-at-pop-culture-magick.html

Got me thinking, if I were to engage with this, what cultural ' texts' might I find magickal...

They say music can have the effect of stopping time, changing consciouness etc...bringing balance, evoking otherness and otherworldlyness..

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ashy

Ashy Gatecrasher

Strikes me this is something we do all the time to buffer meaning...

• Like Like x 1
  3. jjl

jjl it's not just transportation, it's a lifestyle

Back in the late 90's Carols Santana released this album. In an interview he said that listening to this album would change your very DNA. I didn't particularly enjoy the paradigm I found myself in, and I loved Santana's unique signature of sound. (And I am a BIG sucker for a good rhythm).
    I listened to the album on a little disk player I had.
    Then I joined a gym.
    Then I bought a house.
    you will notice that I play a lot of Santana. Because I often need a tune up . :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ashy

Ashy Gatecrasher

I was unaware of the claims Santana made about that album.
    I listened to it loads and loads 1999-2002
    It was a bridge to a massive change in my life.
    I was not conscious of its role in that.
    How weird.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. jjl

jjl it's not just transportation, it's a lifestyle

I said DNA but what I think he actually said was that the album would change you on a cellular level. I used to listen to it as I worked out...I lost 70 lbs :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ashy

Ashy Gatecrasher

there was a susan sontag piece about high/low culture... just making a note so I don't forget. I'll find it later.

For me, there's no high or low culture - just language, just codes, just stuff. Education and awareness/consciousness are not automatic bedfellows.

This quote from Pratchett's "The Wee Free Men" - my pop culture of choice today.

“The secret is not to dream," she whispered. "The secret is to wake up. Waking up is harder. I have woken up and I am real. I know where I come from and I know where I'm going. You cannot fool me any more. Or touch me. Or anything that is mine.”

and this

“I'll never be like this again . . . I'll never again feel as tall as the sky and as old as the hills and as strong as the sea. I've been given something for a while, and the price of it is that I have to give it back.

And the reward is giving it back, too. No human could live like this. You could spend a day looking at a flower to see how wonderful it is, and that wouldn't get the milking done. No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is...no one could stand that for long.”

And a Susan Sontag quote...

And some music - cellular level stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ashy

Ashy Gatecrasher

"those who find they're touched by madness...sit down next to me.."

;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Amanzia

Amanzia Diamond