The Begats

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by jjl, Feb 6, 2018.

1. jjl

jjl it's not just transportation, it's a lifestyle

2. jjl

lineage

lin·e·age
    ˈlinēij/
    noun
    noun: lineage; plural noun: lineages
    1. 1.
      lineal descent from an ancestor; ancestry or pedigree.
      synonyms: ancestry, family, parentage, birth, descent, line, extraction, derivation, genealogy, roots, origin, background, heritage, dual heritage;
      stock, bloodline, breeding, pedigree
      "he is tracing his paternal lineage"
      • ANTHROPOLOGY
        a social group tracing its descent from a single ancestor.
    2. 2.
      BIOLOGY
      a sequence of species each of which is considered to have evolved from its predecessor.
      "the chimpanzee and gorilla lineages"
      • a sequence of cells in the body that developed from a common ancestral cell.
        "the myeloid lineage"

3. jjl

Everything comes from some other thing. A history that impacts the present state. Even when nothing is taken from the past, the opposite reaction is a response to that origin.
    There is no escaping history.
    Some of us embrace it.
    https://www.ancestry.com/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. jjl

Most of my friends are interested in their genealogy to some degree. While I never did join ancestry.com, (I am just too fucking cheap) I did use the free trial to find a half sister I had heard of when I was still a kid.
    I found my sibling, along with a brother and a few more relatives, in the end, both sides were too established in their own family cultures to find much use for the other.
    I am not sorry. I am in the same condition that I was before I started to search.
    I might have been pissed if I had joined ancestry.com ...

5. jjl

One of the reasons I didn't want to join was because the offer I got was with a contract for a monthly payment. I am just not that interested in myself to commit future $$ that way.
    But I marveled at their marketing.

*a side note. Ancestry.com is owned run by the Mormons. A cult absolutely MAD about genealogy. Decades before the internet, my mother visited Utah.
    Hosted by Mormons, they took her to their most important church where they kept a collection of vital statistics. Without an internet available, this was a mountainous task and their collection of data was impressive.
    They offered to do my mother's genealogy for free. Even though my mother had a thorough and bound collection of her family's lineage, my mom agreed if only to be friendly.
    "They didn't miss much." She told me later.

6. jjl

I have an acquaintance from the internet I don't know much about. But his opinions and theories are usually insightful.
    He told me recently that Blood Lines are important.
    Bloody lines he called them.
    He said even though he found it one of the more boring subjects, he knew a bit about them and why they are important.
    "Ask me anything," he invited.

7. jjl

This is a man whose time I do not care to waste with stupid questions. And being put on the spot, everything I might wonder about seemed idiotic to ask another person right out loud. (So to speak).
    But I am still a little anonymous here, and it isn't much of a secret how crazy I am.
    So instead of pestering my wise friend, I will wonder on the subject in this back alley, where no one ever comes.

8. jjl

So everyone around me seemed looney for Ancestry.etc.
    But these illustrated branches were old hat to me. Both sides of my family were always circulating bound booklets of tedious lineage. It seemed the more hardscrabble the family was, the prouder they were of their family origins.
    My folks were pretty hardscrabble till my parents met and married. In the 1950s, things began to improve for most of the population. My parents progressed and didn't grip the history of our predecessors quite as tightly as some of my other relatives.
    Every ten years or so, a new booklet would arrive, along with an invitation to a grand reunion. My mother and her cousins actually attended one, after discovering that a famous baseball player was attending as a relative.
    She came home with stacks and stacks of boring begats.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. jjl

But my own family history is as boring as my friend assured me it all really was.
    So why is everyone so fucking nuts about it all?
    Why the careful attention to heritage?
    I don't see this in the animal world.
    In the end, what use is it really?
    Other than an appeal to human narcissism?

10. jjl

Throughout the ages, all over the planet, Royal families would only breed and marry one another. That is until horrible disfigurements started showing up in royal only populations, from over-inbreeding.
    Case in point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

*I had a girlfriend with a condition very similar to his. She was also a hemophiliac. Her family used to brag to me that this was a royal disease. My feeling was this was likelier an ugly family history rather than royal heritage.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018