Things Do Seem To Be Coming To A Head, Don't They?

Discussion in 'Random & Surreal' started by edina, Apr 13, 2017.

1. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

I don't think this forum is really about this sort of topic, but I thought I would start a thread for people to share random thoughts and ideas and opinions on the surreal happenings of the world's current events.

The Mother Of All Bombs
    [​IMG]

More @ cnn.it/2orhfMp

________

No use sticking our heads in the sand is there?

[​IMG]

Please join in, for anyone who wants to try to put the pieces of the puzzle together. There are soooo many of them. Puzzle pcs, that is...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

The speculation about what is happening is running amok.

I have even had people tell me with a straight face, and heartfelt belief, that Melania Trump is an alien and she is the one really running the show behind the scenes in the White House. And when questioned, they actually present a good case for it.

When truth is withheld people will fill that void with all sorts of things.

MSM, Alternative Media, Education on just about any and every topic. They all seem to be infected with lies.

In a world of divide and conquer how do people discern the truth. What's the antidote? Share and unify.

I've once met a Russian who is the editor for the English translation of the Russian Ringing Cedar series of books. He said that during the 90's, when Russia was in this massive recession. Every night the news would broadcast it's spiel. And every night more and more people got completely disgusted with the news, because they knew it wasn't reflecting their reality. Sound familiar?

So, people would get up and walk outside to smoke a cigarette and walk their dogs just to get away from the news that was pissing them off. Eventually, they started realising that lots of people were outside and started talking to each other.

He said this led to the Russian revolution of the nineties. Something to consider, ... maybe???

That's dangerous, you know... people talking to each other. Having real conversations, sharing ideas, and thinking together.

Let's not do that... what do you think?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the solar system,

Probably nothing ...

Nothing to look at here!!!!

Move along now.

4. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

Humor break: For reader's entertainment, cause hey... let's not take life serious, it's all about the laughs, baby. :rolleyes:

Oh and did you catch the latest trailer just released for ....

Poppycock you say? No worries... where's the beer.

And now for the latest, breaking-est, greatest scandal news from Rachel Maddow. Exclusive!!!!

(Naw, just kidding.)

-----

But seriously, prayers for the people suffering in all this madness. It's heartbreaking, if you let yourself honestly look at it.

And, yes, lots happening beneath the surface of our awareness.

It often feels like we can only watch and there is nothing we can do about it.

In some ways, this is true. But there is much we can do within the field, and this is not insignificant. Especially if people join forces.

5. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

Let's move this over into this thread, cause this is some real crazy shit going... and this way jj doesn't feel like I'm pissing on her thread. :)

Remember, just because you want to pretend I don't exist, doesn't mean I don't exist.

http://www.obskure.info/threads/the-subversive-thread.30/page-35#post-7430

----

Note added 14 April 2017

Follow up article from Reuters on this particular topic:

Russian newspaper fears for staff after Chechen clerics vow vengeance
    MOSCOW Russia's most famous campaigning newspaper said on Friday it had appealed to the Kremlin to protect its staff after Chechen clerics said the paper faced "retribution" for alleging that gay men in Chechnya were being tortured and killed.

6. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

This morning I came across an article that I shared in another place from the New York Times of all places:

There are so many apparently diametrically opposed stories circulating through the media right now. This gives some historical perspective which I find helpful. I hope others do, too.

I consider Amnesty International to be a credible organization and some of their reports about what's been going on in Syria are referenced in the article.

Assad’s History of Chemical Attacks, and Other Atrocities

By RUSSELL GOLDMANAPRIL 5, 2017

In six years of war, President Bashar al-Assad of Syria has overseen a campaign of carnage, turning an enormous cache of deadly weapons against the very people they were presumably stockpiled to protect.

Continue reading the main story

This article raised quite a few questions for me.

I found the caption below this photo very interesting:

[​IMG]

" A Syrian Army defector in a blue hooded jacket during a briefing before the House Foreign Affairs Committee in 2014. The defector, a former army photographer, has smuggled out of Syria more than 50,000 photographs that document the torture and death of thousands of Syrians in President Assad’s prisons. Credit Alex Wong/Getty Images " https://static01.nyt.com/.../06atrocities08-master675.jpg

This briefing before the House Foreign Affairs Committee happened in 2014. 50,000 photographs!!!!

How did I miss this? I don't remember this being in the news during that time. Why isn't this getting HUGE media coverage?

I also read the Amnesty Report linked in the article.

Even more interesting, perhaps, is what happened next, after I posted the link to this article.

----

Note Added: 14 April 2017

When I first read this article I had made a note to try to go to the original archives of this briefing. I did that last night. And now have a better understanding as to why this did not make the news cycle when it happened.

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/pr...ffairs-committee-thursday-july-31-at-930-a-m/

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/press-release/updated-look-ahead-week-of-july-28-august-1/

While in that area I also took the time to look at a few of the Op-Ed's. This one was interesting:

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/op-ed/keep-america-safe-u-s-sanctions-programs-must-bolstered/

As was this one:

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/op-ed/time-start-calling-isis-atrocities-christians-genocide/

Many people I know have noticed the lack of coverage of Christian genocide by ISIS/ISIL/IS in MSM. In fact, people have watched their articles, videos and posts about this subject removed, right before their eyes. Makes one wonder why, doesn't it?

7. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

I don't know about people in other countries, but people in the US have lost trust in nearly all Mainstream Media. And we're quite skeptical about alternative media, too.

Another friend started sharing with me how corrupt the New York Times is and began presenting her case.

Obviously I don't go to only one source, so she wasn't talking to me about me.

Good questions don't ya think?

What is true?

Who do we believe?

8. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

A completely unrelated random thought:

I am so happy I've stayed in touch with the people who would stay in touch with me, over the years, no matter how much other people disapprove of those people.

I learn a lot from all the different points of views of the people around me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

Another random thought:

Friends talk it out til they work it out.

And this is just what my friend and I did earlier today. And I learned much in the process.

10. edina

edina ~~~ 賁 ~~~

I asked her that I hoped she would be open-minded enough to read the Amnesty International Report, even if it were linked in a NYTimes article.

I have no idea if she ever read it, or will ever read it. But she said this:

She presented her case for many other "lies" in media, each of which would make for an interesting conversation in itself. I'll come back and share them. For now, I need to get on to other matters.

How does a person deal with this, with so much disinformation in damn near every thing, how do we become informed in a way that we can trust for ourselves?

----

An added thought: 5.5.2017

I learned in my twenties, while I studying to be a better instructor @ 17th AFLA, about the differences between beliefs, attitudes and values. The Air Force realised that it couldn't change people's beliefs, attitudes or values, so it chose to focus on behaviors when training airmen.

I didn't learn the terms for "cognitive biases" and "mental models" until I was in my forties, over ten years ago, or so... (LOL - I'm pushing toward 60 these days).

This little comic... is excellent, in appreciation. :heart:

[​IMG]

Continued here

Sometimes, this is what is happening, too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2017