To Bee Or Not To Bee (a Bee-odyssey)

Discussion in 'Environment' started by jjl, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jjl

jjl dowser/attention whore

So I have to switch gears for a minute. By now I am sure you have all seen the articles on the Zika virus spraying that annihilated all those Bees in South Carolina. If you missed the article, here it is:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us/south-carolina-pesticide-kills-bees.html
    A number of friends have sent this to me.

The things I would like to say about this probably belongs on my subversive thread. In it I address the matter of "robotic pollinators".
    You see, this spray did not just rob all of us from some sweet South Carolina Honey for breakfast, no, this spraying eliminated so many species that no one could name them all without an extensive list.
    We lost other natural pollinators and ironically, this spraying killed a number of creatures that keep the mosquitos in check.

Zika my ass.

There is no such a thing folks. Stop believing everything you read.
    I keep trying to ignore the devastating impact on our planet, but people keep sending me this article

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. jjl

So what can you do to prevent the government from poisoning your Bees?
    Not much I am afraid. Short of closing up the hive and moving it inside of your house, which I do not recommend.
    With a less devastating spray, you can drape a hive with a wet sheet overnight once the foragers have returned. Generally, in my part of the world, the authorities give us a heads up when they are about to spray locally.
    The trouble is this "herbicide" that they sprayed from above, (Plaid sky anyone?) is still on the plants including the ones YOU eat.
    It's not herbicide, it's genocide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jjl

and once it rains...

4. jjl

Do you think you can wash this poison out of your food?
    With what?
    The water was sprayed too.

5. jjl

6. Lazy jj

Lazy jj Gatecrasher

• Like Like x 1
  7. jjl

My varroa resistant Russian Bees have a heavy mite load.
    I study with both Treatment -free groups and more conventional ones.
    Both sides are hollering at me at the top of their lungs to follow their advice and they are both very passionate about it.

One of my favorite Bee friends assures me that if I don't start treating my colony it is akin to animal abuse.
    Would I let my children walk around with head lice to make them learn to contend and live with them?
    Is this a fair comparison?
    Trouble is, my friend that treats conventionally, has two hives, one should be stronger and the other is very weak and she has replaced the queen 3 times this year.
    My Russian girls come from a treatment free hive. But They likely did not have a heavy mite load the first year they wintered over (as a package) and swarming is one of the ways that Bees contend with mites. Beeks will do something like this artificially called a "split". The Bees leave the hive with most of the mites in the capped brood, and build a clean home, with only the mites on their backs.

The treatment free group assures me that my hive untreated has a 50/50 chance of surviving the winter.
    I don't like those odds.
    My conventional Beek friend has laid enough chemicals on me to napalm a small village.

When she handed me the pack of poison, I was leaning towards treating maybe a little. I could feel the itchiness of having mites crawl all over my body.
    Then my friend warned me to make sure I was wearing a mask and gloves before I opened the package.
    My lungs are certainly bigger than a honey Bee.
    Don't THEY need a mask too?
    This morning I watched this little infomercial:

* I think 50% predictions are hedging bullshit. You can just as easily say "I can't predict." But the 50% thing makes people look like they called it either way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jjl

The other complication is that I must move my Bees. My sister is tired of the expense incurred by my mother's empty house, just so I can have a hive.
    Truth is, I do have a place for them at my home and it's inconvenient to have the colony 33 miles from my house. Some days my anxiety runs very high until I see them, and as I drive away, a question about what I have seen may weigh on me heavily, until I can get back there.
    Some weeks I fed the girls every day. Other times I had to keep checking to see if they were getting nectar building stores,pollen, superseding etc.
    All these anxieties come from two places.
    1. If I could observe my girls daily, I would begin to understand their behavior and needs better.
    2. The whole shebang, colony, and hives and equipment, were a gift directly from the Universe. I don't want to fuck this up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jjl

It is very uncomfortable to stop relying on the opinion of others to decide for me. The decision and consequences are both my responsibility alone.
    I don't know everything yet.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. jjl

So I have put the question out to the Devic realms. I will shelve it for the moment and talk a little about honey extraction.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016