To Bee Or Not To Bee (a Bee-odyssey)

Discussion in 'Environment' started by jjl, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

2. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

I also just scored a very good deal on pure unwired wax foundation. Again, this cannot be spun and must be strung into the frame with a filament. This is referred to as "Cut Comb" and you can sell the entire harvested block, honey still in wax cells to restaurants.

They serve it for fancy desserts in tiny bits on ice cream pastry etc.
    [​IMG]

The other advantage to this foundation is that you can attach small strips at the top instead of going foundation free entirely, to give the girls a guide.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

4. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

5. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

6. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

[​IMG]

This must BEE the place LOL

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  7. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

[​IMG]
    The ladies are installed and settling in.
    Yesterday when we pulled the number 8 hardware fabric away from the opening, they formed and upward tornadic cloud that went on and on for several minutes.
    I have never before beheld the true quantities of flyers in that colony. It was astonishing.
    Truth is, they were "Orienting". More on that later.
    Today I began feeding them 1:1.5 sugar cane water. They have been stressed and it's too cold for foraging this week.
    I don't want them breaking into their winter honey stores.
    As a matter of fact, to move these girls, I had to swap out five honey frames from the top super with empty ones to make the hive lighter for the move.
    I will return the honey frames as soon as it warms up enough to open the hive. Probably next week. At the moment they are saran wrapped in the fridge.
    (I did snag a couple of jars of honey)
    [​IMG]

I had 3 hexagon jars. I gave one to a dear friend and one to my Doctor. (Bee mortgage payment for the hive).
    I only strained the Honey and there were still a few wax cappings that floated to the top. But Doc and my friend both love it that way.
    Those two tiny jars were filled with jam at the airport in Amsterdam. I am a sucker for mini jars and always save them. Maybe I will secrete one of these in a fold like Wango suggested, to take to the U.K. With me. :p

excuse me ma'am but our x-ray machine shows us that you have a tiny jar stuffed up your...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

There are a few things that you can do with the wax capping derived from strained honey. I also save the Burr comb that I scrape each inspection.
    There are tons of things that you can make from Beeswax. But I am thinking that homemade foundation might be the safest thing to use in the hive. After all, there is no way of knowing the condition of the hive or Bees that made the wax from manufactured foundation. In theory, it could pass on American Foul Brood or even European Foul Brood.
    Some of my friends are making their own foundation...

This isn't the only way to do this..youtube has jillions of vids about it.

9. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

10. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

So I haven't written about moving my Bees until now because it was so traumatizing for all of us and I am waiting to witness the final repercussions of the move.

Originally, Jim and I were planning on hiring a guy for $125, which given the size of the hive and length of the journey, seemed more than reasonable.
    But as time drew closer, I resisted removing the top honey super from the hive, and I knew the guy moving it would object to the extra weight.
    In the end, we rented a truck and enlisted the help of my mentor. One of the trickier aspects of moving Bee's is that it has to happen after the sun goes down.
    Because of the temp drop, this made me very uneasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.