To Bee Or Not To Bee (a Bee-odyssey)

Discussion in 'Environment' started by jjl, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

I only took half the hive to combine the girls. I had a few reasons for this.
    Chiefly, the hive was too big to stash in my tiny yard, too big and fierce, I have a lot of neighbors in close proximity.
    That many defensive bees would be too dangerous.
    Also, there was an over abundance of drones in this, and while I am happy to spread the lineage, half of the drones in that hive were all the combination could handle without depleting the colony resources.
    Lastly, even though I have a truck, moving the whole hive in a regular way was unworkable. Jim does not have the strength.
    So I experimented by grabbing the top ten frames of Bees and the empty box. I put the frames in two empty cardboard nuc boxes. Then I closed them up and left them in my mother's cool basement until evening when it would be safe to move them.
    [​IMG]

2. jjl

jjl hhotah hhotah

Most of the experienced Beeks advised that I use the "Newspaper method" to combine the Hive.
    I followed something sort of like this:
    http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ow-to-combine-two-bee-colonies-into-one-hive/

But because they weren't in the deep box, to begin with, we simply covered the bottom with paper and transferred the bees from the two nucs.
    My tiny yard was filled with flyers, some from the two resident hives, some with the new bees, orienting.
    It was crazy for a few hours.