I only took half the hive to combine the girls. I had a few reasons for this. Chiefly, the hive was too big to stash in my tiny yard, too big and fierce, I have a lot of neighbors in close proximity. That many defensive bees would be too dangerous. Also, there was an over abundance of drones in this, and while I am happy to spread the lineage, half of the drones in that hive were all the combination could handle without depleting the colony resources. Lastly, even though I have a truck, moving the whole hive in a regular way was unworkable. Jim does not have the strength. So I experimented by grabbing the top ten frames of Bees and the empty box. I put the frames in two empty cardboard nuc boxes. Then I closed them up and left them in my mother's cool basement until evening when it would be safe to move them.