Wonderland: Dali and Surrealist Art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ashy, Jan 9, 2015.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Wango

Wango Q

Merci Lazy Susan.. I recommend wholeheartedly the scholarly article on Andre Breton for anyone who wishes to flounce on into the golden thread, the stream of the imaginal...the alchemist, the hermeticist, the free-flyer or the surrealist... Rational Escapology... fabulous...bravo!

No hay banda, il n’est pas d’orchestra, it is all an illusion

2. Lazy Susan

Lazy Susan Gatecrasher

The cover is intriguing, Jungian and a bit of everything; a nod to Janus. Nodding would be a challenge to Janus, depending on which side of his face had the tea cup. Oof.

"Cover illustration: André Masson, Portrait of André Breton, 1941. Ink on paper, 485 x 625 mm. Masson Collection, Paris, France. © Pictoright Amsterdam 2014."

I do think it likely this drawing tells us much of we 'need' to know (or infer, or grasp) about the parent of surrealisme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(portrait by Man Ray, 1930)

[​IMG]

Surrealism is not 'nice' art. It is 'innards ripped wide open' art.

It would be interesting to evaluate how successful Breton was in 'ripping open the innards' of Europe in the first half of the 20th century.

Art as Magic.

But it did not begin or end with the Surrealists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.idoart.dk/would-you-kill-for-a-masterpiece/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wango

Wango Q

I didn't notice the lion's tail at first...smile.

The king of the acids aqua regia dissolves the king of the metals gold

Makes me thirsty for a pint down at the Red Lion and a smoke of Gold Leaf.

Surrealist or Symbolique?

The surrealists embarked on mining the subconscious for what might have been missing from the fall of alchemical understanding... the disconnect. Mining the subconscious was always a route back into the rediscovery. Ourouboros.

thanks Lazy Su

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lazy Susan

Lazy Susan Gatecrasher

Yes. There is definitely a distiction to be made between magic IN art, and magic AS art or art AS magic ...

The thread is there and raises interesting questions.

Round and round we go. Pass the salt?

Brilliant summary of that which I was struggling to elucidate.

Su ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wango

Wango Q

Nice one Su

That's the perennial question: magic IN art, and magic AS art or art AS magic... and for fear of coming across as an Alan Moore stalker lol.. I have to throw in an intro through him to the artist magus Austin Osman Spare...again. Gotta love me lol

When you brought up the piece on Automatism.. and you look at his work.. there is a palpable sense of Spare having dipped into this...his drawings look almost unguided by a conscious hand. He experimented at great length with automatic drawing.

[​IMG]

"If you're in a magickal state , then if you create a piece of art while in that state, it is a way back into that state." A.M on A.0.S

6. Lazy Susan

Lazy Susan Gatecrasher

(Like)

I was thinking that Moore belonged in the room.

I wonder if anyone could 'weigh in' on the distinction between a magical state, an unconscious state, a conscious state and...a surreal state.

Where does one end and another begin?

Can we create 'doors' magically and consciously, for example.

Is that a question too far?

Lazy...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wango

Wango Q

the previous post (now evaporated) was concerning Ouspenky's Tertium Organum.... always sounded a bit like an extra appendage to me.. smirk

differentiating between different states...surreal, magickal, subconscious, conscious, solid, gaseous...etc and on... where one ends and another begins seems intriguing enough, yet it is the 'doors' that are more beguiling no?

Something is afoot!

I was chatting to a rebel yesterday. I like his mind and so inevitably I sneaked in another old chestnut...that perhaps people's biggest fears are there own minds. I might be very wrong about that, it wouldn't surprise me... but sanity is sanitized thought, if you look at it from a particular angle... the conscious creation of magickal doors could be as simple as letting your imaginal faculty dwell on the plane of unfiltered imagnation... pick a door... be lucky... smile.

Read less... dance in your fancy

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lazy Su

Lazy Su Gatecrasher

Thankyou.

I was looking for that post now evaporated.

So earlier, I was discussing another '4 states' - tho not equivalent - in an obskure sect of Tibetan Buddhism. This over Holandaise and toast etc. Sacred practices, not unlike 'sweat lodges' and based in caves are employed to dip in and out of these states which denote consciousnesses at incarnate stages.

So the convo moved then to why incarnation as a human presents the best opportunity for exploring these. The intellect - if used to its best capacity - is an advantage to exploring and expressing or navigating 'being.'

Finally, as for keys...seems these are common to all traditions.

I'll develop the point again when less...confined.

Intellect or not? Read less, think more?
    Think less? Think only in Spanish.

Je ne sais quoi, mais tu es vrait.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Wango

Wango Q

claro que si reina

quando tengas un momento mejor, y una boca que no es tan llena de Hollandaise...
    que asco lol

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lazy Su

Lazy Su Gatecrasher

vrais

I must stop inventing words in other languages.

Hollandaise

Silencio...

• Funny Funny x 1